Monday, July 2, 2012

Something new or just a better mousetrAPP?















I use to have a Polaroid camera. It was awesome. A chunky, but profoundly innovative photo making machine. Then, digital technology came along and this once mind blowing piece of technology found its permanent resting place in my basement. I had evolved and moved on.  Polaroid photos were a thing of the past. They were blurry, faded and impractically sized.

Recently, Facebook acquired photo-sharing app, Instagram, for $1 billion. Ironically, these digital pictures look an awful like Polaroids. The acquisition has made me wonder about the true nature of digital innovation. Sure photos can now be taken, shared and reproduced at an unprecedented rate, but is there really anything that different?

A report from Flurry Analytics shows that the fastest growing app categories are photo and video, music and productivity.  Are these category leaders surprising? Secretly disappointing? Would love to hear your thoughts…  



1 comment:

  1. When I was working my way through college, I worked for a wedding photographer. I kept this job for 5 years, and learned a lot about photography.

    A question my boss would get asked a lot when I worked with him was the difference between film and digital. He would express that of course digital was easier, and it was great that you could see the picture right after he took it. However, it really becomes more expensive in the long run. Why? because it doubles (at least) the time that the photo spend "in progress." He has to pay someone to edit, color correct, and do special effects to the images. He takes 700 images a wedding instead of 300. He has to upkeep computers and editing software and carry more equipment.

    Therefore, I completely understand what you are trying to get out. Just because the "old ways" are less effective, doesn't mean they are bad. Besides. Vintage is in. :)

    ReplyDelete